The Scavenger Gods
These gigantic, technologically advanced insects control the backbone of the world’s transportation infrastructure. The Monarus built, maintain, and control the trains that keep the terrestrial political and economic powers running.
Physical Description: Monarus resemble giant butterflies, standing roughly six feet tall, with females being significantly larger than the males. Monarus have six limbs, the four lower limbs being longer and used to support the creature in a near-upright stance, and the two upper limbs ending in three opposable digits useful for manipulating objects.
Monarus have large wings, with complex patterning and typically bright coloration. Despite the size of their wings, Monarus are incapable of flight, lacking the musculature to actively control their movement—the wings are either be folded, or laid flat, but cannot be flapped. However, the wings are sufficiently rigid to allow the Monarus to glide long distances when they are held in the spread position.
The first part of a Monarus’s life is spent as a barely sentient caterpillar. They are only a few inches long at birth, but grow to as large as four feet over the next decade. Around 10 to 11 years of age, the young Monarus will enter into a chrysalis for a 8 to 12 months, then emerge as a fully sentient adult.
Society & Relations: The Monarus learned to harness the power of electricity early, and quickly began profiting by sharing the fruits of their technology with others. They collaborated with the Penguins to build the airships, worked with the Tardigrades to enhance their water purification systems, and developed a system of high-speed railways that link the major cities of the Catamarok Empire.
The Monarus prefer to be in positions of dominance in whatever field they study. Their ruler, Yaxa is famed for penning , the seminal work on military strategy, and for having held off the Catfolk invasion of Monarus longer than any other civilization. With the coming of the Colossi, Yaxa was eventually forced to capitulate and side with Prospero to oppose the Colossi. Since joining the Empire, the Monarus have worked hard to make themselves indispensable to the Empire—providing transportation for all, but retaining the secrets of its operation for themselves.
Alignment and Religion:
Sample Names: Yaxa
Racial Traits [15 Points]
- Abilities (2 RP): +2 Int, +2 Wis: Monarus are clever, creative, and technologically advanced.
- Type: Monstrous Humanoid [Monarus] (3 RP): Monstrous humanoids are similar to humanoids, but have monstrous or animalistic features. They often have magical abilities as well. A monstrous humanoid race has the following features.
- Monstrous humanoids have the darkvision 60 feet racial trait.
- Monstrous humanoids breathe, eat, and sleep.
- Medium Size (0 RP): Monarus have no modifiers based on their size.
- Speed (0 RP): Monarus have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages (0 RP): Monarus begin speaking Monarus and Common. Mothlings with high intelligence scores may select bonus languages from Tardigrade, Penguin, Cat-folk, Pangolin, Spriggan, Mangrove, or Myconid.
- Light Sensitivity (–1 RP): Monarus are dazzled as long as they remain in an area of bright light.
- Scent (4 RP): Monarus gain the scent ability. This special quality allows a creature to detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.
The creature can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range. When a creature detects a scent, the exact location of the source is not revealed—only its presence somewhere within range. The creature can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. When the creature is within 5 feet of the source, it pinpoints the source’s location.
A creature with the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom (or Survival) check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10 (no matter what kind of surface holds the scent). This DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Survival skill. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.
- Gliding Wings (3 RP): Monarus take no damage from falling (as if subject to a constant nonmagical feather fall effect). While in midair, Monarus can move up to 5 feet in any horizontal direction for every 1 foot they fall, at a speed of 60 feet per round. A Monarus cannot gain height with their wings alone; it merely coasts in other directions as it falls. If subjected to a strong wind or any other effect that causes a creature with gliding wings to rise, it can take advantage of the updraft to increase the distance it can glide.
- Sticky Tongue (2 RP): Monarus can make melee attacks with their long, sticky tongues. This is a secondary attack. A creature hit by this attack cannot move more than 10 feet away from the attacker and takes a –2 penalty to AC as long as the tongue is attached (this penalty does not stack if multiple tongues are attached). The tongue can be removed by the target or an adjacent ally by making an opposed Strength check against the attacking creature as a standard action or by dealing 2 points of damage to the tongue (AC 11, damage does not reduce the sticky-tongued creature’s hit points). A Monarus cannot move more than 10 feet away from a creature stuck to its tongue, but it can release its tongue from the target as a free action. A member of this race can only have one creature attached to its tongue at a time.
- Electrical Mastery (2 RP): A Monarus can cast Power Device at will, and cast Elemental Assault (Electricity only) once per day as spell-like abilities. The caster level for these effects is equal to the Monarus’s character level.
Random Starting Ages:
|12||+1d4 years||+1d6 years||+2d4 years|
Random Height and Weight:
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4 ft. 6 in.||+2d6 in.||100 lbs.||+2d6 x 1d6 lbs|
|4 ft. 8 in. — 5 ft. 6 in.||102 – 172 lbs|
|Female||6 ft. 0 in.||+2d6 in.||150 lbs.||+2d6 x 2d4 lbs|
|(6 ft. 2 in. – 7 ft. 0 in.)||154 – 246 lbs.|
|Race||Middle Age||Old||Venerable||Maximum Age|
|Cumulative Effects||–1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||–2 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||–3 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||GM secretly determines Maximum|
|Monarus||27 years||41 years||55 years||55 + 1d12 years|