The Scavenger Gods
The mothlings are an engineered race, created by the Monarus from their own stock to be the perfect spies—able to get into places that larger creatures can’t and able to remain completely silent. Mothlings are small, quiet, unassuming creatures who
Physical Description: Mothlings look like much smaller versions of their Monarus cousins, resembling normal moths about the size of a large rat, with females being slightly larger than the males. Mothlings have six limbs, the four lower limbs being longer and used to support the creature in a near-upright stance, and the two upper limbs ending in three opposable digits useful for manipulating objects.
Mothlings have large wings, with complex patterning and typically drab coloration. Despite the size of their wings, Mothlings are incapable of flight, lacking the musculature to actively control their movement—the wings are either be folded, or laid flat, but cannot be flapped. Instead, the wings were selected for their coloration, granting the mothlings excellent camouflage in certain conditions. Despite the length of their lower limbs, many Mothlings still walk with a slightly stooped, forward-leaning gate to keep their wings from dragging on the ground.
The first part of a mothling’s life is spent as a barely sentient caterpillar, not much longer than a Cat-folk’s finger, crawling around and eating. Around 10 to 11 years of age, the young mothling will enter into a chrysalis for a 8 to 12 months, then emerge as a fully sentient adult.
Society & Relations: Mothlings have no real society of their own, being entirely dependent on their Monarus masters. They can be found anywhere the Monarus travel, and are fairly common throughout the Catamarok Empire. Those that are not directly employed in acts of subterfuge or intrigue on behalf of the Monarus corporations or the Catamarok government often have trouble finding other employment due to their diminutive size and lack of physical strength. Many races view all Mothlings with a certain level of distrust due to their history and sneaky nature.
While all races dislike the Pangolins, Mothlings have a particular fear of the large insectivores.
Alignment and Religion:
Racial Traits [10 Points]
- Abilities (0 RP): +4 Dex, +2 Int, -4 Str: Mothlings are small and quick, but very weak relative to larger creatures.
- Type: Monstrous Humanoid [Monarus] (3 RP): Monstrous humanoids are similar to humanoids, but have monstrous or animalistic features. They often have magical abilities as well. A monstrous humanoid race has the following features.
- Monstrous humanoids have the darkvision 60 feet racial trait.
- Monstrous humanoids breathe, eat, and sleep.
- Tiny (4 RP): Tiny races gain a +2 size bonus to their AC, a +2 size bonus on attack rolls, a –2 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +8 size bonus on Stealth checks. Tiny characters take up a space of 2-1/2 feet by 2-1/2 feet, so up to four of these characters can fit into a single square. Tiny races typically have a natural reach of 0 feet, meaning they can’t reach into adjacent squares. They must enter an opponent’s square to attack it in melee. This provokes an attack of opportunity from the opponent. Since they have no natural reach, they do not threaten the squares around them. Other creatures can move through those squares without provoking attacks of opportunity. Tiny creatures typically cannot flank an enemy.
- Speed (0 RP): Mothlings are quick for their size, having a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages (0 RP): Mothlings begin speaking Monarus and Common. Mothlings with high intelligence scores may select bonus languages from Tardigrade, Penguin, Cat-folk, Pangolin, Spriggan, Mangrove, or Myconid.
- Silent Hunter (2 RP): Mothlings reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5 and can make Stealth checks while running at a –20 penalty (this number includes the penalty reduction from this trait).
- Camouflaged Wings (1 RP): Each Mothling must choose a ranger favored terrain type when it is created. The Mothling gains a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks while within that terrain type.
Random Starting Ages:
|12||+1d4 years||+1d6 years||+2d4 years|
Random Height and Weight:
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight|
|Male||0 ft. 9 in.||+2d6 in.||1d3 lbs.|
|0 ft. 11 in. — 1 ft. 9 in.||1 – 3 lbs|
|Female||0 ft. 12 in.||+2d8 in.||1d4 lbs.|
|(1 ft. 2 in. – 2 ft. 0 in.)||1 – 4 lbs.|
|Race||Middle Age||Old||Venerable||Maximum Age|
|Cumulative Effects||–1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||–2 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||–3 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||GM secretly determines Maximum|
|Mothling||27 years||41 years||55 years||55 + 1d12 years|