The Scavenger Gods
Nais (Nay-ees), sometimes jokingly called “water nymphs” by land-dwellers, are a sentient, aquatic distant cousin of the Myconids. Nais originated in the flooded Worm Caves complexes of the northwest, but can now be found throughout the world’s oceans and are a common sight in the submerged cities of The Constellation.
Physical Description: Nais are sentient, animated fungi. Less developed than their land-bound cousins, Nais look like solid spheres of white to beige fungal matter over two feet in diameter. They propel themselves through the water with a number of filaments surrounding their body. They have sufficient control over these filaments that they can also use them to grab and manipulate objects.
Strictly aquatic, Nais lack the stuctures to support their own weight. If forced onto land, they are able to propel themselves by rolling or dragging themselves using their filaments, but are slowly crushed by their own weight, effectively suffocating.
Society & Relations: Nais are mostly nomadic individualists, floating through the oceans consuming dead and dying plankton and organic particulates. While they may be found among many of the subaquatic cultures, they have almost no contact with land-dwellers.
Alignment and Religion:
Racial Traits [10 Points]
- Abilities (1 RP): +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, and -2 Charisma: Nais are hardy, being little more than masses of spongy fungal tissue, but are less mentally developed than their surface-dwelling cousins.
- Type: Fey (2 RP): A fey is a creature with supernatural abilities and connections to nature or to some other force or place. A Fey has the following features:
- Fey have the low-light vision racial trait.
- Fey breathe, eat, and sleep.
- Aquatic Subtype (0 RP): As aquatic creatures, Nais can breathe water. but suffocate on land. Aquatic creatures always treat Swim as a class skill.
- Small Size (0 RP): Nais gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks. Small races have a space of 5 feet by 5 feet and a reach of 5 feet.
- Slow Speed (-2 RP): Nais have a base speed of only 10 feet on land.
- Swim (2 RP): Nais have a swim speed of 30 feet and gain the +8 racial bonus on Swim checks that a swim speed normally grants.
- Water Sense (1 RP): Nais can sense vibrations in water, granting them blindsense 30 feet against creatures that are touching the same body of water.
- Light Blindness (–2 RP): Nais are used to the lightless depths of the oceans. Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds a Nais for 1 round; on subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
- Steam Jet (2 RP): Once per day, as a standard action, a Nais can expel a cloud of superheated gas (a side effect of the anaerobic decomposition of organic materials that takes place inside them) as a breath weapon attack that deals 2d6 points of fire damage in a 15-ft. cone. All creatures within the affected area must make a Reflex saving throw to avoid taking damage. The save DC against this breath weapon is 10 + 1/2 the Nais’s character level + the Nais’s Constitution modifier. Those who succeed at the save take no damage from the attack. When underwater, a Nais can combine this attack with the Withdraw action as a full-round action, jetting away at high speed as they expel the pressurized gases.
- Fast Healing (6 RP): Myconids regain 1 hit point each round. Except for where noted here, fast healing is just like natural healing. Fast healing does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, nor does it allow a creature to regrow lost body parts. Fast healing continues to function (even at negative hit points) until a member of this race dies, at which point the effects of fast healing immediately end.
- Languages (0 RP): Nais begin speaking their own language only. Nais with high intelligence scores may choose bonus languages from Aquan, Myconid, Aamuh, or Kelpie.
Random Starting Ages:
|4||+1d4 years||+2d4 years||+2d8 years|
Random Height and Weight:
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Either||2 ft. 6 in.||+1d6 in.||180 lbs.||+1d6 x 2d10 lbs|
|2 ft. 7 in. — 3 ft. 0 in.||182 – 300 lbs|
|Race||Middle Age||Old||Venerable||Maximum Age|
|Cumulative Effects||–1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||–2 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||–3 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||GM secretly determines Maximum|
|Nais||45 years||67 years||90 years||90 + 1d% years|