The Scavenger Gods
The Aamuh (or “First Sons” as their name translates from their own tongue) were the first fully-humanoid race to walk upon the world. Descended from the Ancients, this race evolved to have humanoid males, as well as females.
Shortly after Aamuh, the first humanoid male was born to the Ancients, he and a select few females migrated across the Beaked Bay to the Turtle-Head Peninsula, in order to escape the chaotic nature of life atop the great turtles, and to escape the violent males of the Ancients. The offspring of Aamuh and his consorts were all humanoid, and within a generation had no contact with their Ancient forebears.
Physical Description: The Aamuh are humanoids, standing roughly five-and-a-half feet tall one average, with builds typical of modern-day humans. Their skin tends to be brightly colored, favoring shades of red, orange, or yellow, and often sports bright patterning as well (ranging from white stripes or banding to bright blue circles). Males are completely hairless, though females tend to have full heads of hair, with coloration matching their skin. Their eyes are identical to a human’s and come in a full range of colors. Almost three-quarters of Aamuh are female.
Aamuh’s have slightly enlarged craniums—though in females this is usually not noticeable due to their hair. An Aamuh’s skin is thick, smooth, and rubbery. They have cartilaginous skeletons, making them extremely flexible and giving their limbs and extremities an unsettlingly large range of motion.
Aamuh are amphibious, sucking in air or water through their nostrils where it is filtered through a series of many-layered feathery gills which line the nasal cavity. The liquid or gaseous waste is then expelled through the mouth. Many monks and vocalists of other races envy them for the instinctual nature of their circular breathing. While they are typically comfortable on land, they have difficulty breathing in particularly arid environments.
An Aamuh’s lungs are filled with a oxygenated fluid and their gills carefully regulate the flow of gasses into and out of their system. This, combined with their tough, rubbery skin, allows them to withstand water pressures far greater than other air-breathing creatures. Aamuh can survive the pressures of the deepest ocean trenches without suffering any damage or even discomfort.
The Aamuh are very long-lived and “age well”, such that many races believe they are immortal or possessed of perpetual youth. While this is not the case, they are so secrative and their lifespans are so much longer than other races that it might as well be so.
The Aamuh have very low reproductive rates, and thus have never spread much throughout the world in the 100,000 years that they have been around. The typical Aamuh female produces at most two or three ovum in her lifetime.
Society & Relations: For long ages, the Aamuh remained silent, hiding in their cities on the Turtle-head Peninsula, tending their farms, and generally avoiding the conflicts of the younger races. In the last century, however, spurred by the conquests of the Catamarok Empire, they have been forced to make their presence known in the wider world. Aamuh now hold many positions of power in the empire.
The aging Cat-folk are also beholden to the Aamuh for teaching them the arts of longevity, and the elders of the two races are close allies. As the only other race able to withstand the depths, they also have close ties to the Drowned.
Because of their largely female population and low birth rates, Aamuh society is strongly polygamist. Males, as rare and necessary for reproduction, are afforded high status, but very little freedom. Females, especially those that have already given birth, on the other hand, are free to come and go at a whim and are the mostly likely Aamuh encountered by other races.
Alignment and Religion: The Aamuh preserved much of Ancient society, though they ceased to build the orreric cities like the Ancients, as they did not have the promise of the constant rains of the northern peninsula to power their technology. They continued to worship Dgn, giving rise to the Cult of the Fish and Cult of the Walking Fish, which now comprise the majority of Dgn’s faithful.
In recent years, the Aamuh have had something of a revolution in their worship of Dgn. Years of hiding from the world have lead to some unusual ideas about the nature of their silent deity, giving rise to the strictly iconoclastic and rather chaotic Church of the Enigmatic Piscine. The Enigmists are gaining increased acceptance not only among the Aamuh, but also among the other races of the Empire.
- Male: Alatus, Alpheus, Bimaculatus, Briareus, Bulbus, Californicus, Conispadiceus, Dierythraeus, Diminutus, Favonius, Filamentosus, Globosus, Gorgonus, Graptus, Laqueus, Longispadiceus, Luteus, Macropus, Microphthalmus, Micropyrsus, Mimus, Typicus, Nanus, Niveus, Nocturnus, Ornatus, Pallidus, Parvus, Pentherinus, Pumilus, Spinosus, Superciliosus, Tehuelchus, Tenebricus, Tetricus, Validus, Verrucosus, Zonatus
- Female: Adamsi, Balboai, Bocki, Brocki, Campbelli, Defilippi, Digueti, Fitchi, Fujitai, Gardineri, Gibbsi, Hardwickei, Hattai, Hummelincki, Joubini, Oliveri, Oshimai, Prashadi, Pricei, Rapanui, Roosevelti, Salutii, Sasakii, Winckworthi, Wolfi, Yendoi
Racial Traits [30 Points]
- Type: Humanoid (Aquatic, Ancient)
- Abilities (4 RP): +4 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength: Aamuh have large brains and are very flexible, but their lack of an endoskeleton makes them weaker than other humanoid creatures of their size.
- Medium: Aamuh have no modifiers based on their size.
- Deepsight (2 RP): Aamuh are specially adapted to the lightless depths of the oceans, but not to air-filled environments. They can see in the dark up to 120 feet while underwater, but do not gain this benefit out of water.
- Normal Speed: Aamuh have a base land speed of 30 feet.
- Swim (2 RP): Aamuh have a swim speed of 30 feet and gain the +8 racial bonus on Swim checks that a swim speed normally grants. While they lack visible fins, Aamuh are still talented swimmers, moving effortlessly through the water by undulating their bodies, much like a eel.
- Amphibious (2 RP): Aamuh are amphibious and can breathe both air and water.
- Camouflage (1 RP): Aamuh are able to make subtle alterations in their skin coloration, granting them a +4 racial bonus on Stealth checks when in aquatic environments.
- Damage Reduction (2 RP): Because of their thick, rubbery skin and cartilaginous skeletons, Aamuh are less vulnerable to blunt trauma than other creatures. Aamuh have damage reduction 5/slashing.
- Hydrated Vitality (3 RP): Aamuh gain fast healing 2 for 1 round anytime they submerge completely within a body of natural salt water, fresh water, or brackish water. Stagnant, poisoned, or trapped water (such as water within an artificial pit or a bag of holding) does not activate this ability. Aamuh can heal up to 2 hit points per level per day with this ability, after which it ceases to function.
- Naturally Psionic (2 RP): Aamuh gain the Wild Talent feat as a bonus feat at 1st level. If a aamuh takes levels in a psionic class, he instead gains the Psionic Talent feat.
- Weapon Familiarity (1 RP): Aamuh are proficient with Flails and Heavy Flails. They treat any weapons with “Ancient” in the name as martial weapons.
- Psionic Aptitude (0 RP): When an aamuh takes a level in a favored class, he can choose to gain an additional power point instead of a hit point or skill point.
- Languages (1 RP): Aamuh begin the game speaking Aamuh and Common. Aamuh with high Intelligence scores can learn any languages they want (except Druidic and other secret languages).
- Tentacled Heritage (6 RP): Aamuh gain Illithid Heritage (Complete Psionics) as a bonus feat at 1st level. At 4th level, 8th level, and 16th level he gains an additional bonus feat selected from the following list: Illithid Blast, Illithid Compulsion, Illithid Enthusiast, Illithid Grapple, Illithid Extraction, Illithid Legacy, Greater Illithid Legacy, or Illithid Skin.
- Aamuh Immunities (4 RP): Salt, iron, blood, mercury, and other things have tainted the waters of the world throughout the many millennia that the Aamuh have lived in it. The constantly changing and often toxic nature of the world’s waters have made the Aamuh highly efficient at filtering out unwanted chemicals from their systems. Similarly their constant exposure to psionic communication makes them easily able to shrug off such intrusions when they are not wanted. Aamuh are immune to paralysis, phantasms, and poison. They also gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against psionics and psi-like abilities.
Random Starting Ages:
|20||+1d10 years||+4d10 years||+10d10 years|
Random Height and Weight:
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5 ft. 0 in.||+2d8 in.||100 lbs.||+2d8 x1d10 lbs|
|5 ft. 2 in. — 6 ft. 4 in.||102 – 260 lbs|
|Female||4 ft. 8 in.||+2d8 in.||80 lbs.||+2d8 x1d10 lbs|
|(4 ft. 10 in. – 6 ft. 0 in.)||82 – 230 lbs.|
|Race||Middle Age||Old||Venerable||Maximum Age|
|Cumulative Effects||–1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||–2 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||–3 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha||GM secretly determines Maximum|
|Aamuh||150 years||225 years||300 years||300 + 5d% years|